The Journey Home Quarterly Newsletter October 2019
For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people.
2 Corinthians 8:3-4
“Love is the overflow and expansion of joy in God, which gladly meets the needs of others.” John Piper
Our hearts are overflowing with thanksgiving for God’s provision and for His many faithful servants who have given so generously of time and money to this ministry. We are so grateful for each one of you.
So much has happened since the last newsletter in July that it is hard to know where to begin to tell you of God’s continued favor and care for The Journey Home (TJH). The first update is on the transition home construction. You can tell by the picture that the building is coming along well. Kevin and Howard Loudin have been a great team in overseeing the project. The painting is nearly completed, the electrician turned on the lights this past week, the flooring is being laid, the security system is being connected and the cabinetry is being installed. Anticipation is mounting for completion in December and the welcoming of our first guests in January. Praise God! Stay tuned for information about an Open House we hope to have in early January.
- Praise for the many people who are supporting TJH through prayers, finances, donations, time and effort. We are so very thankful for each of you!
- Volunteer training (October 10, 17 & 24, and November 7 & 14) using the Redemptive Compassion curriculum has begun. It is so exciting to have 50 committed and caring people attending!
- Praise for an Office/Program Manager that God has uniquely equipped for the job! She will be a huge asset!
- TJH received an $85,000 grant in August to put in a solar field! The solar panels will be on the ground and are estimated to cover 100% of our electric needs. To add to this blessing, the company installing the solar (Altenergy) gave us $7,000 off the cost to match the remaining $7,000 we will owe to complete the solar field. (TJH will likely recoup this cost in the first year of savings on electricity!)
- Ben managed the many details of preparing the donated modular home for a move of forty miles and the reassembling on TJH Next Step property (that is 500 yards from TJH). This is a lovely 3 bedroom home that will bless many families in the future.
- Wells Fargo Bank awarded a $15,000 grant that included 60 hours of their employees helping with the Next Step Home. They will assist Ben (on October 30-31) with the drywall repair, siding, decking, etc. that needs to be done to complete the home.
- For a successful Yard Sale October 4 & 5. The event had good weather, good donations and good shoppers. About $3,500 profit was made. Thank you to the many volunteers that made this event possible.
- More churches and organizations are becoming involved in supporting TJH. The Louisa Community Thanksgiving (November 26) Committee voted to have TJH as the recipient of the offering that night.
- For Mineral Baptist Church allowing TJH to use the storage area above the family Life Center for our furniture donations. This large (free!) space has been such a gift from the Lord!
- TJH has received approximately 80% of the furniture needs for the building through generous donations. Thank you to those of you who have donated! Robi, an interior designer who is donating her time, has been a huge help in determining what furniture can be used in what units. She is helping to take various donations and make lovely accommodations for those who will live at TJH.
- Grading is beginning on the grounds and Liz, a landscape architect volunteering her time, is another blessing as she is helping with the plans for the grounds. There is even a garden planned for spring planting with a gardener wanting to volunteer his time to teach guests how to plant a vegetable garden. A local tree grower is also donating a few trees for the property. God’s provision goes on and on!
- Many community contacts have continued with Debby attending quarterly Faith Coalition meetings, monthly Interagency Council meetings, monthly Chamber of Commerce meetings, church presentations and one-on-one meetings with the Resource Council, Department of Human Services, and Pastors.
- Ed and Debby attended a Jobs for Life Seminar in Richmond to learn about connecting our guests with job preparation and employment.
- Ed, Ben and Debby visited Homestretch Ministry in Fairfax to learn how they run a program similar to TJH.
- The local paper, The Central Virginian, has done several articles on TJH. Thanks to Irene, one of the volunteers, the information has been excellent and given front-page coverage.
- TJH is in need of four gently used love seats/small couches for the units.
- There is still some furniture that needs to be repaired or painted. Let us know if you would like to help. Work is usually done on Thursday mornings.
- We will need to purchase 8 queen and 16 twin mattresses for units. We will also need shower curtains for 9 bathrooms and blinds for 65 windows! Please prayerfully consider making a gift towards these expenses.
- For our future guests. That they may be open to having their lives transformed by the hope and healing only God can bring.
- For wisdom and discernment for the team that will be interviewing applicants to find the right match for TJH.
- For God to bring the House Manager Couple who will live at the building and supervise the guests. They will have perks of room and board and the joy of making a difference as they touch lives.
- For provision of $750,000 to allow us to be debt free when we complete construction.
- For more churches in Louisa County to see the vision for the Body of Christ to come together to help those in need through TJH. May they have hearts to support TJH in many ways.
- For wisdom in writing all the policy and procedure documents that need to be in place for the operation of TJH. It feels overwhelming at times.
Only God could give a vision for this ministry and make provision for TJH in so many miraculous ways. We trust that He will continue to supply all that is needed and bring the ones He knows need the hope and healing only He can bring. Thank you for joining us in this amazing journey. We are so thankful for your hearts for TJH and for your prayers and your involvement!
for TJH Board of Directors